Today, instead of simply preview a few cards, I will be introducing you to the first of the 3 scenarios.
The EXPLORATION SCENARIO is a free-for-all mode of play. Each player will take on the role of a salvaged Starship. They will use their basic crew, maneuvers, and setup cards to begin improving their deck as they prepare to explore space.
To win the game, players will need to explore the Space Deck and gain Mission Points. The first player to reach 400 or more Mission Points will win the game. The Mission Points of each card will be found in the bottom left corner.
There are 3 types of cards that you can encounter in the Space Deck.
- Mission Cards – Missions are usually the safest card type you can encounter. When you find a Mission, you just move it to the Mission Area, and if you would like to you can complete that Mission by meeting it’s Goal. Otherwise, if you can’t or just don’t feel like it, you can continue to explore the Space Deck. Missions simply appear from time to time and while they are face up any player can complete them on their turn if they like. The best part of completing Missions instead of exploring space is that you know what you’re going to get and Missions will reward you would some good effects and Mission Points without the fear of running into some dangerous and harmful Event or Starship.
- Starship Cards – There are several Starships of varying levels that you can encounter in the Space Deck. When you encounter them, they assume you are hostile. You have 2 options when dealing with these ships:
- (Diplomacy) Talk your way into an Alliance by gaining enough Speed and Diplomacy to match the ships using your Characters and Maneuvers. If you are able to do that, you may upgrade your ship to the ship you encounter as well as gaining its Mission Points.
- (Combat) You will get to play your Characters and Maneuvers then whichever of you has the higher Speed, will fire upon the other and then the slower ship, provided it hasn’t been destroyed, will then fire back. If you are able to defeat the ship, you will claim its Mission Points as a reward.
- Event Cards – Events have varying effects so you never know if it good or bad. Some will reward the player that finds them while other times you will end up in a dire situation with only a small chance of survival. Some of these cards will put you in a situation that will punish you if you are unable to meet its Goal and escape. There are also several events that will cause a war among all players. When a War occurs, players will playing their cards to increase the stats of their ship. Then, each player will fire in order of Speed on the opponent of their choice. The strongest last man standing will win the War and receive its Mission Points.