I coded a deckbuilder and card library for the Inuyasha TCG for my senior project way back in 2006. We didn't quite finish, but came pretty close and then the game died. I think the search engine made it (apostrophes create bugs), but had some difficulty with the deck builder, until one of my coding team came up with modeling the deck builder like a shopping cart.
We had it work in multiple panes where you chose an option (like type of card or element) which would open another pane and present another option (subtype, like Platoon, Squad, Reinforcement, etc.).
We used PHP along with mySQL to access the database to grab cards. Those were the days... That was fun. Now I don't really code anymore, only because I don't (for now) do any coding in my profession.
I know how much work goes into this and how cool it will be when you're done. I have an Excel deck list that you can use to export to, and would love to see the code when you're done. My primary language is Java, so this would be a nice journey down memory lane.
You should have built in restrictions for the number of cards that can go into a deck (rogue list), which can allow you to modify the individual cards in the search engine. I think the hardest part will be inserting all the cards into the database. I'd start with block legal for now.
Last edited by matthewlow : 03-16-2013 at 01:51 PM.